As a woman, it is normal receive your portion of the monthly menstrual cycle. The cycle is caused when endometrium in the uterus is shed due to the failure in fertilization of the ovum by a sperm. The cycle begins on the very first day that one begins to shade blood in a month and ends on the next first day of bleeding of the next as a new cycle begins again. The length of bleeding varies in women. Some take three to four days while others take a whole week. It is very abnormal for one to bleed for more than one week hence you should panic if you find yourself in this situation.
Menses vary from one woman to another; some are light bleederes and end up using two pads or tampon in a day. Others are heavy bleeders and end up soaking pad in every hour that passes by during the menstrual cycle. Such heavy bleeding is scientifically known as menorrhagia and when it is prolonged may lead to anemia that is caused by iron deficiency in the body. It is obvious that heavy or prolonged bleeding during menses makes a woman very uncomfortable and interferes with her lifestyle for a while. There are some activities that one can do in order to reduce the bleeding, and they include;
· The Medical option
The lifestyle options
- It involves the ingestion of vitamin c supplements, which strengthens the blood vessels and increases the rate of iron absorption by the body.
- Ice packs are another lifestyle option that helps in reducing the amount of blood loss by one placing the ice pack on the abdomen severally for twenty minutes.
- The last option is the ingestion of iron supplements that will enable the body to regenerate new blood.
- Involves the ingestion of oral contraceptives that prevent the thinning of the lining of the uterus and ovulation. In so doing it reduces the amount of blood loss by sixty percent.
- The other method is through the use of Gonadotropin-releasing hormone agonists that are good in stopping the bleeding by causing temporary menopause after interfering with the activities of oestrogen. On the downside, it causes severe side effects such as osteoporosis.
- The use of danazol is another method of stopping the bleeding. Danazol is a type of male testosterone that is interferes with the actives of oestrogen hence leading to four or six week without menstruating. Its side effects include breast reduction and acne.
- The use of progesterone is the most advocated way forward in stopping prolonged menses. Like the others, it reduces the action of oestrogen in the body hence slowing down the creation of endometrium in the uterus. Its side effects include weight gain, depression and headaches. The use of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs such as Motrin and Aleve help reduce the bleeding by 25% to 35% by reducing the amount of prostaglandins in the blood.
- Hysterectomy involves a surgical procedure, and one requires to be hospitalized for it to be effective. It is a very risky option to go about since it may lead to severe infection.
- Endometrial ablation is a minor procedure that involves the destruction of the endometrium by use of either electricity, freezing or hot water. One is assured of a quick recovery.